A keto diet or ketogenic diet is a way of eating that includes eating foods that are low in carbohydrates and high in fat, resulting in faster weight loss. This diet has many health benefits that have been demonstrated in more than fifty studies. The ketogenic diet is part of the medical recommendations and may be useful for reducing body weight without feeling a strong hunger and controlling type 2 diabetes (*). On this site, you can learn how to properly follow a ketogenic diet using natural products. Here you will find visual aids, recipes, and a simple two-week nutrition program – what you need to successfully follow a keto diet.
What is ketosis? How to get into ketosis?
Energy for the body comes from the food we use. The main components the body receives from food are fats, proteins, carbohydrates. Our body processes them to simpler molecules: carbohydrates – to glucose, proteins – to amino acids, fats – to glycerol and fatty acids. At the same time, the main “fuel” for us is precisely glucose, into which all others can turn. However, during starvation or in the context of a ketogenic diet, ketone bodies synthesized in the liver become the main source of energy. Ketone bodies are an alternative source of energy for the body, which is used for lack of glucose.
Ketones are formed if a person with food consumes a small amount of carbohydrates, which quickly break down into glucose, and a small amount of protein (excess protein is also converted ultimately to glucose).
The brain is an energy-consuming organ that consumes a lot of energy throughout the day. The brain receives energy from ketone bodies and glucose.
In a keto diet, since carbohydrate intake on a keto diet occurs in low doses, the level of the hormone insulin decreases and the level of contra-hormonal hormones rises. Under their influence, the body begins to actively break down fat reserves to produce energy with the formation of a large number of ketone bodies.
A keto-diet contributes to a rapid decrease in body weight, while there are other advantages of such a diet: a decrease in hunger and an increase in “vital energy”. A ketogenic diet makes us more energetic and concentrated. When the body produces ketones, it enters a metabolic state called “ketosis.” The fastest way to achieve ketosis is to starve, eat nothing – but no one can withstand fasting for a long time. However, a competent keto diet can be observed for a long time, maintaining your body in a state of ketosis.
For most people, a keto diet is safe. However, in some situations, it is contraindicated in the following diseases and conditions:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Liver failure
- Renal failure
- Primary carnitine deficiency
- Enzyme deficiency of carnitine palmitoyltransferase, carnitine translase, pyruvate kinase
- Chronic gastrointestinal tract
The limitation to the keto diet is:
Taking sugar-lowering drugs
Warning : on the background of the ketogenic diet may be falsely positive breath alcohol test. While the ketogenic diet has many proven benefits, it still causes controversy. For people with type 2 diabetes, the doses of sugar-lowering drugs should be adapted to their diet. Talk with your doctor about any changes in treatment and lifestyle.
What can I eat on a ketogenic diet?
The following are suitable foods for a ketogenic diet.
The most important thing to achieve ketosis is to avoid consuming large amounts of carbohydrates. It is necessary to maintain a carbohydrate intake of less than 50 g / day, preferably less than 20 g / day. The less carbohydrates you consume, the faster ketosis is achieved and, as a result, weight loss. At first, counting carbohydrates can help. But if you stick to our recommended foods and recipes, you can stay in ketosis without bothering to count.
What should I avoid?
What you should definitely avoid a keto diet are carbohydrate foods that contain a lot of sugar and starch: bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes.
With a keto diet, it is imperative to completely avoid sugary and processed foods (crackers, chips, etc.). Food should contain a lot of fat and a moderately high protein content since excess protein will quickly transform into glucose in the body. To maintain ketosis, the body needs to take about 5% of energy from carbohydrates, 15-25% from proteins, and 75% from fats.
What can I drink on a keto diet?
Water is the perfect drink, coffee and tea too. It is better not to use sweeteners, especially sugar.
A small amount of milk or cream in coffee or tea will be appropriate (but beware of latte coffee). Sometimes you can afford a glass of wine.
How low in carbohydrate is a keto diet?
The less carbohydrates you consume, the higher your nutritional effectiveness to suppress appetite, reduce body weight, and control type 2 diabetes . The keto diet is a strict low-carb diet that contains less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, and therefore is highly effective. Below are three possible examples of how a low-carb meal might look like, depending on how many carbohydrates you plan to eat per day. Note that only the leftmost image reflects an example of the correct ketogenic dish:
We recommend starting with strict adherence to our nutritional guidelines. When you reach your desired weight, you can expand your diet with carbohydrates.
Keto Diet Health Benefits
The benefits of a ketogenic diet are similar to other low-carb and high-fat diets, but the keto diet is the most effective and capable of delivering maximum results. A.
Loss of excess body weight
A keto diet turns your body into a fat-burning machine. The process of losing weight is significantly accelerated due to a decrease in the level of insulin in the blood – the hormone for the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Over 30 scientific studies (*) show that a ketogenic diet leads to more effective weight loss compared to other types of diets.
A keto diet can improve appetite control. The feeling of hunger is reduced dramatically, which is confirmed by scientific research ( * ). Keto-diet allows you to eat less food and reduce body weight without much difficulty. On the ketogenic diet to many people, there are only two times per day ( skipping breakfast ), and some even cut the number of meals to once a day without discomfort to himself. Therefore, an additional bonus of a keto diet can be saving time and money due to the lack of frequent snacks throughout the day.
Blood glucose lowering and type 2 diabetes control
The ketogenic diet reduces the level of blood glucose is, therefore, one of the possible mechanisms of diabetes control type 2 diabetes type and preceded it in carbohydrate metabolism disorders ( “pre-diabetes”) ( * ). Against the background of a keto diet, the need for sugar-lowering drugs is highly likely to decrease. A.
Many scientific studies show that the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment for some of the risk factors for cardiovascular disease: it improves blood pressure control ( * ) and reduces the amount of “bad” cholesterol in the blood.
Energy and intellectual abilities
Some people use ketogenic diets specifically to increase mental performance. In animal studies, data have been demonstrated that the state of ketosis during fasting provides benefits such as resistance to stress, trauma, and disease. An explanation was proposed for this: mammals that have succeeded in surviving for long periods without food have adapted to the optimal functioning of the brain precisely in the state of ketosis. A ketogenic diet improves concentration and mental clarity.
A keto diet can lead to better digestion, less gas and flatulence, less cramping and abdominal pain, and relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. For some people, this becomes the most significant benefit of the diet, and it takes only a few days to develop this effect.
Physical strength increase
Ketogenic diets increase physical endurance, open access to a large amount of energy from fat depots. The body’s glucose reserves stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen “burn out” in just a couple of hours of intense training, while fat stores have enough energy to nourish the body for weeks.
Therapy for Epilepsy Symptoms
Initially, this food system was generally developed for people with epilepsy (primarily for children with resistance to therapy), and studies have shown that the frequency of attacks on such a diet becomes less. This is probably due to the ability of ketone bodies to inhibit the foci of excitation in the brain. Traditionally, therapy has been used mainly for children, but in recent years it has been successfully applied to adults. In addition, the ketogenic diet showed itself well in Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, autism spectrum disorders, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Other benefits of a keto diet
In addition to the benefits listed above, a keto diet helps treat acne and can relieve symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome.
How to quickly get into ketosis on a keto diet?
Here are the seven most important things to get into ketosis, ranging from the most important to the less important:
- Limit your carbohydrate intake to 20 grams per day or less: follow a strict low-carb diet. At the same time, fiber is not necessary to limit, it can be useful for ketosis. What do 20 grams of carbohydrate look like? Use our visual guide to learn. Or simply use our recipes and meal plans, they calculated the number of carbohydrates to 20 grams per day and do not require them to count. Often, carbohydrate restriction alone is enough to bring the body into a state of ketosis. But the rest of the list will help you achieve even greater success.
- Limit that protein to moderate amounts. The keto diet is not a protein diet. This is due to the fact that excess protein in the body turns into glucose. Try to eat about 1.5 grams of protein per day per kilogram of your weight (about 100 grams of protein per day if you weigh 70 kilograms). A common mistake that prevents people from causing ketosis is eating too much protein. Our keto recipes are designed with the right amount of protein in mind.
- Consume enough fat. A keto diet is a high-fat diet. There is a difference between a keto diet and starvation, which also leads to ketosis: diets are easier to follow for a longer time. With prolonged starvation, we can feel fatigue and hunger, while the ketogenic diet is more stable and allows us to maintain good health. If you are hungry during the keto diet, you should add more fat to your food (for example, more oil). Our keto recipes are designed to contain the right proportions of fat.
- Avoid snacks when you do not feel severe hunger. If you eat more often than necessary, just for fun and because there is food around, this will lead to a decrease in ketosis and slow down weight loss. But snack s normal when you feel hungry.
- If necessary, you can add interval fasting. For example, skip breakfast and eat only during the eight-hour window, starving for the remaining sixteen hours (Scheme 16: 8). It is very effective in increasing ketone levels, as well as accelerating weight loss and controlling type 2 diabetes.
- Add exercise – adding any kind of physical activity can significantly increase the level of ketones in the body. Exercise also helps accelerate weight loss and improve control of type 2 diabetes.
- Sleep enough hours and reduce stress. Most people require at least 7 hours of sleep per day. Lack of sleep can make it harder to follow a keto diet because of its effect on eating behavior, reduce self-control, and make you pliable temptations of unnecessary excess food.
Breakfast: two eggs fried in butter with fried greens
Lunch: a burger without a roll with beef free grazing with cheese, mushrooms, and avocado on a pillow of green leafy vegetables
Dinner: Pork chops with green beans, fried in coconut oil
Breakfast: mushroom omelet
Lunch: tuna salad with celery and tomatoes on a pillow of green leafy vegetables
Dinner: fried chicken with cream sauce and fried broccoli.
Breakfast: bell peppers stuffed with cheese and eggs
Lunch: arugula salad with hard-boiled eggs, turkey, avocado and blue cheese
Dinner: grilled salmon with spinach, fried in coconut oil
Breakfast: fat yogurt with keto muesli
Lunch: steak with cauliflower rice, cheese, herbs, avocado and salsa
Dinner: bison steak ( can be replaced with beef) with cheese and broccoli.
Breakfast: oven-baked avocado and egg boats
Lunch: Caesar salad with chicken
Dinner: pork chops with vegetables
Breakfast: cauliflower toast with cheese and avocado
Lunch: a burger without a roll with salmon and pesto
Dinner: Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles and Parmesan Cheese
Breakfast: pudding with coconut milk and chia with coconut and walnuts
Lunch: Cobb salad of greens, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, cheese and turkey
Dinner: Coconut Chicken Curry
This is a general keto menu that can vary according to individual needs.
Conclusion: in order to enter ketosis, you must limit your carbohydrate intake to a low level, preferably below 20 grams per day
How much will my weight on a keto diet go down?
The results vary greatly. Most people lose 1-2 kg during the first week. Basically it goes away fluid. After that, people on average lose about 0.5 kg of weight per week. But variations are possible, depending on the age, gender, and condition of the body. As the body mass index approaches “normal,” weight loss will slow. You need to understand that for everyone within the “normal” BMI there will be a weight, which depends on growth. There is no need to strive for what the popular media or “public opinion” broadcast, focus on your well-being and feeling.
Success stories of people, their reviews and results on our website
How can I track my carbohydrate intake?
If you use our menu of the day you will consume up to 20 grams of carbohydrates without having to count them. Using our product guide will help you approximately estimate how many carbohydrates you consume per day.
What happens after reaching my health and weight goals on a keto diet?
Once you achieve your goals, you can either continue to use keto products (to maintain the effect), or you can try to expand your diet. Assess your well-being, listen to your body, see how you react to different products. You must understand that if you return to your old habits, on which body weight increased, then you will gradually return to the previous state of weight and health. This is similar to training – if you stop doing them, you gradually lose the achieved results. It is expected that a ketogenic diet, like workouts, gives results only when you do this.
You can also try these following Keto recipes which you can include in your daily routine.
1)Mini Crustless Quiches
• 14 large eggs
• 3 plum tomatoes, diced
• ⅔ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
• ⅓ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
• ⅓ cup sweet onion, diced
• ⅓ cup sliced pickled jalapenos
• ⅔ cup soppressata salami, diced
• ⅓ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 15” x 11” muffin tin.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk well.
3. Split the quiche batter into the muffin tin equally and bake for about 25 minutes.
4. Store in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.
5. Nutrition is based on 4 Mini Crustless Quiches. Recipe makes about 12
2) Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
• 1 cup almond flour
• ½ cup erythritol
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 pinch salt
• ⅓ cup peanut butter
• ⅓ cup almond milk
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup SF chocolate chips
1. Combine all the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large mixing bowl and stir.
2. Add in the peanut butter and almond milk and stir to combine.
3. Add in 1 egg at a time, incorporating each fully.
4. Fold in the SF chocolate chips.
5. Spray a muffin tin and add the batter. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350°F.
6. This recipe makes 6 muffins, 2 muffins per serving.
7. Nutrition is per 2 Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
1) Tuna Avocado Salad
• 4 oz. canned tuna
• ½ stalk celery, diced
• ½ avocado
• 2 tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 tsp mustard
• ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
• Salt, pepper
• 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled, chopped
1. Combine the tuna, celery and avocado.
2. Add mayo, mustard, lemon juice and spices.
3. Add the egg to the tuna salad.
4. Mix very well until all the ingredients are well combined.
5. Pack it up and save it for lunch!
2) Cheddar Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
• 20 oz. chicken breast, shredded
• 2 cups broccoli florets (we used frozen)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• ½ cup sour cream
• ½ cup heavy cream
• Salt, pepper
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1 oz. pork rinds, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. In a deep mixing bowl, combine chicken, broccoli florets, olive oil, and sour cream. Mix to combine thoroughly.
3. Place the mixture into a greased 8×11” baking dish, pressing into an even layer.
4. Drizzle heavy cream over the entire layer. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
5. Add the cheddar cheese to the top and add the crushed pork rinds over the cheese for a crispy casserole top.
6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
7. Nutrition is per ¼ of the casserole.
1)Shrimp & Mushroom Zoodles
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
• 1 tbsp butter
• 6 oz. large shrimp, peeled
• 1 large zucchini
• ¼ cup marinara sauce
• Salt, pepper
• 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
2. Fry the mushrooms until they’ve soaked up most of the oil.
3. Add butter and let the mushrooms cook until they’ve turned golden.
4. Add the shrimp and let them cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
5. While the shrimp are cooking, make the zoodles by using a spiralizer.
6. Once the shrimp are cooked and pink, toss the zoodles in for about 2 minutes.
7. Then, add the marinara sauce and season with salt and pepper.
8. Enjoy with a sprinkle of Parmesan!
2) Sriracha Lime Flank Steak
• 7 oz. asparagus
• 8 oz. flank steak
• Salt, pepper
• Sriracha Lime Sauce:
• ½ lime
• 1 tbsp sriracha
• ½ tsp vinegar
• Salt, pepper
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Trim the ends off the asparagus and let them fry on medium heat for about 10minutes, tossing occasionally.
2. Liberally season the steak with salt & pepper. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Add 1 minute on each side for medium and 2 minutes for well done.
3. Cover the steak and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, squeeze fresh lime in a bowl and mix with sriracha, vinegar, salt & pepper. While whisking these together, slowly pour in olive oil to create an emulsion and thicken the sauce.
4. Slice steak thin & serve with sauce and the asparagus. Enjoy!