In order for the keto diet to work, the menu needs to be composed of permitted products in compliance with the rules of the BJU. The daily calorie content depends on the task: for weight loss, the energy value of dishes is reduced, for a set of muscle mass, it is increased.
The essence of the ketose weight loss program
As many reviews confirm, the keto diet is an effective method of burning fat reserves. Since the daily menu consists of nutritious dishes, the feeling of hunger practically does not occur, so the body is not exposed to stress.
During a ketogenic diet, metabolism is rearranged.
The diet involves the maximum reduction in the number of carbohydrates so that the body begins to extract energy from body fat.
Rules for Achieving ketosis
To enter a ketotic state, you must follow these recommendations:
- Exclude snacks from the diet, because they can cause a surge in insulin.
- Start playing sports. Allocate to exercise no more than half an hour a day.
- Do not be afraid to consume fats, because they are the main source of energy.
- Reduce the amount of protein consumed – up to 1.7 per 1 kg of body weight.
- Reduce carbohydrate intake to 30 g per day.
- Drink plenty of purified water – up to 3-4 liters per day.
Typical symptoms of ketosis:
- decreased appetite;
- the appearance of a characteristic odor of acetone from the mouth, from urine and sweat;
- frequent urination;
- dry mouth.
The required amount of carbohydrates per day for a keto diet
You need to consume 20-30 g of carbohydrates per day. Special recipes for keto diets meet this requirement. To replenish carbohydrates, it is enough to eat 100 g of raspberry or blackberry, 1/2 grapefruit daily.
Do you need to count calories on a keto diet ?
It is not necessary to count calories on a keto diet, but it is important to maintain a balance of BJU . About 150 g of protein, 30 g of carbohydrates and 142 g of fat are needed per day. To understand how many nutrients should contain 1 meal, the daily intake of BJU is divided by 5. Thus, it turns out that for 1 time a person should receive 30 g protein, 28 g fat, 5 g carbohydrates.
What products to use
The list of allowed products is quite long, so you will not have to starve on a diet.
Conventionally, the list can be divided into the following categories:
- Meat. Pork recommended.
- Fish. It is advisable to eat salmon.
- Oil and fats.
- Dairy products. It is recommended to include fatty hard cheeses, cottage cheese in the diet .
- Nuts and seeds.
- Fruits and vegetables: lemon and grapefruit, coconut, blackberry and raspberry, tomatoes and cucumbers, beets, carrots, etc.
Coffee must be drunk with cream with a fat content of 20-30%. In an omelet, scrambled eggs you need to add sausage, bacon. Canned fish and meat, cod liver, sprats, various pastes are also allowed.
Salads can be seasoned not only with olive oil, but also with mayonnaise. Other non-carbohydrate sauces are also suitable. The menu can include dishes containing mushrooms, beans, different types of cabbage, avocado.
It is even allowed to drink alcohol, but with a minimum sugar content. These include whiskey, brandy, rum, etc.
One of the main advantages of this food system is that you do not need to count calories and adhere to a clear meal schedule. The diet is based on the ratio of nutrients 70/20/10: 70% – fats, 20% – proteins and 10% – carbohydrates.
There are recommended 3-4 times a day ( breakfast , lunch and dinner should be required, lunch – if desired). If necessary, another dinner is allowed . You can go in for sports on a diet, but in the first 2 weeks, physical activity should be slightly reduced
Weekly Menu for Keto Diet
Recommended calorie breakfast – 550 – 600 kcal . The first meal should include up to 15 g of carbohydrates. Non-starchy vegetables and cheeses will be a good option. You can cook an omelet or scrambled eggs from 3-4 eggs with fried tomatoes. A protein shake, a loaf of cheese will do.
At lunch, carbohydrates should be limited, so it is not recommended to use yoghurts and milk. The energy value of this meal should be 350-400 kcal. Meat broths with vegetables, but without potatoes, salads are suitable for lunch.
For dinner, you can eat vegetables and meat. It is allowed to add fats in the form of vegetable oil or nuts. Calorie dinner – about 300 kcal.
At lunch and at bedtime, you can eat cheese, cottage cheese , boiled eggs, almonds, cucumbers, celery
An approximate dietary menu for every day for men, presented in the table, will help to draw up an individual nutrition scheme.
|Monday||80 g of fried omelet, 130 g of beef chop, 150 ml of tea||160 g of cottage cheese||130 g boiled chicken, 140 g vegetable salad, 250 ml jelly||120 g of baked fish with dill, a portion of brown rice, 200 ml of tea||1 tbsp. protein shake|
|Tuesday||160 g rice pudding, toast, 150 ml of tea||1.5 tbsp. protein shake||240 g borsch with meat, 80 g chicken zraz, 80 g cabbage salad, 150 ml jelly||180 g shrimp, bread with cheese, 1 tbsp. of tea||Casein|
|Wednsday||150 g fried eggs with bacon, small cracker, 150 ml of tea||90 g cheese||170 g of chicken soup, 90 g of beef steak, 140 g of vegetable salad, 1 tbsp. of tea||130 g of stewed mushrooms, 150 g of vegetable salad, 1 tbsp. of tea||1 tbsp. unsweetened kefir|
|Thrusday||2 fish cakes, 130 g fresh vegetables, 150 ml tea||120 g omelet||Serving of borsch, 110 g of meat salad, 100 ml of jelly||110 g of chum salmon, bread with cheese, 1 tbsp. of tea||1.5 tbsp. protein shake|
|Friday||3 boiled eggs, 120 g of baked chicken, 110 g of vegetable salad, 150 ml of tea||1 tbsp. rosehip tinctures, 1 cracker||Portion of mashed soup, 130 g of meat salad, 1 tbsp. jelly||180 g of baked salmon, 120 g of any vegetables, 1 tbsp. of tea||Casein|
|Saturday||120 g omelet, 110 g cottage cheese , 150 ml of tea||70 g applesauce||Serving of fish soup, 130 g of any vegetables, 1 chicken cutlet, 1 tbsp. of tea||160 g of shrimp, 110 g of boiled chicken, 1 tbsp. of tea||1 tbsp. protein shake|
|Sunday||180 g of mushroom casserole, 1 tbsp. tea with cracker||80 g of cottage cheese||Serving of chicken soup, 2 beef patties, 80 g of fresh vegetables, 1 tbsp. jelly||130 g of fish cooked in a double boiler, 110 g of fresh vegetables, 1 tbsp. of tea||180 ml unsweetened kefir|
You can also try these following Keto recipes which you can include in your daily routine.
1)Mini Crustless Quiches
• 14 large eggs
• 3 plum tomatoes, diced
• ⅔ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
• ⅓ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
• ⅓ cup sweet onion, diced
• ⅓ cup sliced pickled jalapenos
• ⅔ cup soppressata salami, diced
• ⅓ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 15” x 11” muffin tin.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk well.
3. Split the quiche batter into the muffin tin equally and bake for about 25 minutes.
4. Store in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.
5. Nutrition is based on 4 Mini Crustless Quiches. Recipe makes about 12
2) Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
• 1 cup almond flour
• ½ cup erythritol
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 pinch salt
• ⅓ cup peanut butter
• ⅓ cup almond milk
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup SF chocolate chips
1. Combine all the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large mixing bowl and stir.
2. Add in the peanut butter and almond milk and stir to combine.
3. Add in 1 egg at a time, incorporating each fully.
4. Fold in the SF chocolate chips.
5. Spray a muffin tin and add the batter. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350°F.
6. This recipe makes 6 muffins, 2 muffins per serving.
7. Nutrition is per 2 Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
1) Tuna Avocado Salad
• 4 oz. canned tuna
• ½ stalk celery, diced
• ½ avocado
• 2 tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 tsp mustard
• ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
• Salt, pepper
• 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled, chopped
1. Combine the tuna, celery and avocado.
2. Add mayo, mustard, lemon juice and spices.
3. Add the egg to the tuna salad.
4. Mix very well until all the ingredients are well combined.
5. Pack it up and save it for lunch!
2) Cheddar Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
• 20 oz. chicken breast, shredded
• 2 cups broccoli florets (we used frozen)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• ½ cup sour cream
• ½ cup heavy cream
• Salt, pepper
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1 oz. pork rinds, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. In a deep mixing bowl, combine chicken, broccoli florets, olive oil, and sour cream. Mix to combine thoroughly.
3. Place the mixture into a greased 8×11” baking dish, pressing into an even layer.
4. Drizzle heavy cream over the entire layer. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
5. Add the cheddar cheese to the top and add the crushed pork rinds over the cheese for a crispy casserole top.
6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
7. Nutrition is per ¼ of the casserole.
1)Shrimp & Mushroom Zoodles
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
• 1 tbsp butter
• 6 oz. large shrimp, peeled
• 1 large zucchini
• ¼ cup marinara sauce
• Salt, pepper
• 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
2. Fry the mushrooms until they’ve soaked up most of the oil.
3. Add butter and let the mushrooms cook until they’ve turned golden.
4. Add the shrimp and let them cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
5. While the shrimp are cooking, make the zoodles by using a spiralizer.
6. Once the shrimp are cooked and pink, toss the zoodles in for about 2 minutes.
7. Then, add the marinara sauce and season with salt and pepper.
8. Enjoy with a sprinkle of Parmesan!
2) Sriracha Lime Flank Steak
• 7 oz. asparagus
• 8 oz. flank steak
• Salt, pepper
• Sriracha Lime Sauce:
• ½ lime
• 1 tbsp sriracha
• ½ tsp vinegar
• Salt, pepper
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Trim the ends off the asparagus and let them fry on medium heat for about 10minutes, tossing occasionally.
2. Liberally season the steak with salt & pepper. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Add 1 minute on each side for medium and 2 minutes for well done.
3. Cover the steak and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, squeeze fresh lime in a bowl and mix with sriracha, vinegar, salt & pepper. While whisking these together, slowly pour in olive oil to create an emulsion and thicken the sauce.
4. Slice steak thin & serve with sauce and the asparagus. Enjoy!